Statement of Purpose(𝗦𝗢𝗣) 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 guide
𝗔𝗻 𝗶𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗶𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗦𝗢𝗣 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴: After going through several statement of purpose essays, a typical formula is emerging in the first paragraph of all common SOPs:
𝟏) 𝐀𝐧 𝐢𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐪𝐮𝐨𝐭𝐞
𝟐) 𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝
𝟑) 𝐀 𝐯𝐚𝐠𝐮𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 and
4) 𝐃𝐨 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐧𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧. 𝐈𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐫 𝐢𝐭 𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐬𝐲𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐬.
Please don't start your SOP using this recipe if you wish to stand out from the rest. A quote may be useful if and only if it is relevant. This is not an English literature essay but an essay about you. Do you need some random quotes by Aristotle or XYZ to describe yourself? Secondly nobody knows from childhood that he/she wanted to become a public health expert or wireless communication engineer. It looks very artificial. Talk about a school project if there was something extraordinary about it. Did you get a prize or appreciated somewhere?
1) The more genuine or factual your essay, the more appealing it is. However, one cannot go to another extreme by saying that I got admission in civil engineering but not in electrical engineering and this the sole reason for doing a masters in civil eng.
2) The first impression is the last impression. Your opening paragraph should be different from the rest. This can only happen when you think originally. There are no rules for writing an SOP though, but the first paragraph can include a genuine reason why you chose this field, a story which made you decide that choice of a particular study area. An easy starting could be the importance of your field and how it affects public life and then you can say you chose this field and so on.
3) Don't forget to talk about your research, your final year projects and what interests you.
4) Don't forget to mention your volunteering work. It shows that you can return public favors.